Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
thisisbenji Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

p5freak wrote:

iljitsch wrote:

p5freak wrote:

I am going to try the 40/2 on the Z50. But i am pretty sure it wont beat the 12 year old 35mm f1.8 DX, which only costs half the price. Its an excellent lens, razor sharp even wide open.

Really? So far my impression was that the Z lenses were pretty much in a new class, and even though the 35 f/1.8 DX is very good and works well on my Z fc, with the FTZ in the middle it gets a bit unwieldy so I could see myself getting the new 40 mm. Also nice that it's full frame so useful when I upgrade to a full frame Z camera at some point in the future.

But forget that if it's worse than the 35 DX. Or even just not any better.

Yes, really. The 35 DX is razor sharp wide open, and it costs only half the price of the new 40/2. I dont find it unwieldy, it would be similar with the 35mm Z f1.8, which is about as long, and as heavy as the DX with FTZ. I will never upgrade to FF, to much weight. I already went down that road, and didnt like it. I want compact and light.

My 35/1.8S is noticeably sharper than my 35/1.8DX and as you mentioned it’s about the same size as the DX lens and the FTZ. If this 40/2 is even 75% as sharp as the 35/1.8S it’ll be sharper than the old DX lens. It’s also going to be a whole ton more compact on the Z50 which as you mention above “I want compact and light.”  That’s certainly not a phrase I would use for anything attached to a FTZ.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow