G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Sundre wrote:

dkyl wrote:

Sundre wrote:

I spent some time googling this + reading forum threads. It all got a bit too technical for me. Would anyone be able to give a simple, non-technical answer to this question:

If I shoot the same low-light event (concert etc.) with these two combos, how many stops do I gain with the Z6? Image stabilisation does not matter much since the subjects are moving.

Combo #1: Panasonic G9 + PL 35-100/2.8

Combo #2: Nikon Z6 + Nikon 70-200/2.8

I would love a really simple answer, something like "1/50s with #1 will look more or less like 1/125s with #2". I don't need a technically perfect answer, just a rough ballpark figure.

Unless I have misunderstood something, the two components involved in making the Z6 the better combo for low light is the sensor and the lens. I don't really understand the technical aspects of that, and I would prefer not to have to understand them either.

The reason I'm asking is, I've been offered a used Z6 for 1,000 €, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. I realise it's a good price for a Z6 mark I in good condition, but I'm not rich. Getting some decent glass for it would be so expensive...

If I can get "good enough" results with something like the PL 35-100/2.8 or the Olympus 75/1.8 with my G9, I'm not sure I want to spend that much at this time.

Thank you

Hi Sundre,

I happen to have a G9 and a Z6 II and so I thought my experience might be relevant to you.

As others have pointed out, just use the equivalent settings to give you an idea of the relative performance. So a G9 with 35-100 f/2.8 will act approximately like a 70-200 f/5.6 on a Z6 so it's roughly a 2 stop difference.

Unless you want to switch system, I do find having multiple systems not completely ideal. As an alternative if the focal length suits you, have you considered a Panasonic 25-50 f/1.7? Now you're at 50-100 f/3.5 equivalent and gets you to within a half stop of the f/2.8 zooms on FF.

I personally use a 10-25 f/1.7 on my G9 because I find the focal length range far more appealing and after accounting for equivalence, I'm within a half stop of FF f/2.8 zooms so in low light it's largely a non-issue.

But I also have a 58 and 105mm f/1.4 that I use on my Z6 II so I have those options to go really shallow DOF and/or shoot in very low light when necessary.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, it does help. Unfortunately all of those lenses are way beyond my financial means at this time. I can't afford to pay over a thousand euros/dollars for a single lens. I can afford (2nd hand) to add either the PL 35-100/2.8 or the Oly 40-150/2.8, plus maybe the Oly 75/1.8 to my current lineup - or sell everything I have, and buy a 2nd hand Z6 mark I (mark II is too expensive for now) + something like the Tamron 70-200/2.8 + adapter.

If I had unlimited dosh, I would definitely get the Panasonic 10-25 and 25-50/1.7, that is such a perfect combo. Unfortunately I can't afford even one of them, never mind both.

Totally understand. Given your current situation my personal inclination would be to stick with m43 and add either the 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8, as you’ve rightly concluded.

As an aside, I used to own the Oly 75 f/1.8. Excellent lens but I found the FL a bit awkward at the time as it was too long indoors most of the time and often too short outdoors. But if that FL works for your concert photography, the optics are brilliant.

And secondly I think the 35-100 f/2.8 is a gem in m43 as it’s so petite. Never got around to owning one but if size is important I’d be all over it. I did own the 40-150 f/2.8 at one stage but being a bit of a bokeh fan, I didn’t get along with that lens.

But if your long term outlook appear to include a lot of Low light photography then perhaps m43 (whilst capable) may not be the most appropriate system for you.

Good luck with you choice.

dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow