G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,727
My overall take on 24Mp FF vs M43

Thank you, it does help. Unfortunately all of those lenses are way beyond my financial means at this time. I can't afford to pay over a thousand euros/dollars for a single lens. I can afford (2nd hand) to add either the PL 35-100/2.8 or the Oly 40-150/2.8, plus maybe the Oly 75/1.8 to my current lineup - or sell everything I have, and buy a 2nd hand Z6 mark I (mark II is too expensive for now) + something like the Tamron 70-200/2.8 + adapter.

If I had unlimited dosh, I would definitely get the Panasonic 10-25 and 25-50/1.7, that is such a perfect combo. Unfortunately I can't afford even one of them, never mind both.

This is my general overall take on 24Mp FF vs M43 for what its worth - YMMV of course depending on situation

The problem with 24Mp FF cameras is that you need either slow tele lenses and lots of light or very expensive bazooka sized ones to get any kind of real reach (more than 200mm) - the slow ones in F (or EF) mount over 300mm tend to be expensive or poor quality and generally massive.. Being 47Mp, a Z7 would give you the reach via cropping to 20Mp when you need it (gives effectively a 1,5X tele at G9 sized images - you can crop in finder which gives 20Mp RAWs ) or shorter reach with amazing print sizes or ultra low noise (it`s almost as clean as the Z6 at pixel level so resized down to 24Mp gets really clean images) .. Prob is that Z7s aren`t even £1000 lt alone $1000

M43 gets affordable sharp glass down to sensible size and the G9 is a fantastic body which has Olympus level IBIS, some of the finest ergonomics and it does true ISO100 despite how Pan have labelled it as extended for clean skies,. the DFD AF is state of the art in single point mirrorless AF and its no slouch at tracking too . has two UHS2 card slots and is tough and reliable and its home to IMO the best 10X + superzoom lens for any system , the Lumix 14-140-II which is compact (actually looks small on the G9) ...... Id not swap to a Z6 as a personal camera , Z7 ? different story but a lot more cash

For you - I`d hire a fast lens and see how it performs - the oly 40-150 F2.8 is king and far less than £1000 used and puts 300mm of effective reach onto 20Mp with some of the best optics in a zoom of that range and isn`t going to break your back .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow