Moon again

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,661
Re: Moon again

LillyLo wrote:

Hello, here I am back to the fullmoon subject. Theory says to get the moon surface you need a high speed and a low ISO. Well if I have that with manual setting, it's impossible to catch even lightly the objects (ie buildings, tree branches etc) of the foreground. A detailed moon is possible only alone, for what I understand. What am I doing wrong?

The full clear moon at night creates a very high contrast scene; it's not the sun but still very bright compared to the foreground objects.

Getting exposure right in such conditions is tricky, I'd suggest to expose by histogram so that the moon is almost blown out (but not yet). Then you'll see, by the shadows in the histogram, if the foreground is recoverable. If not, you may resort to HDR/exposure blending.

(The above implies you shoot raw.)

The moon is easier to work with when it's behind some light clouds and/or sits low at the horizon.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow