Warning for P-L 100-400mm owners

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Baba Ganoush Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Warning for P-L 100-400mm owners

I own the Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm lens. The other day I went to put the lens away after a shoot and the knob on the lens foot fell off without warning. It turns out there's a tiny set screw about 1 mm in size that keeps the knob locked in place, which fell off and allowed the knob to separate from the lens foot. Fortunately the screw fell onto a place on my desk where it was easy to find.

Unfortunately, to put the set screw back in place takes an uncommon Phillips head screwdriver of size PH0000, a tool I did not have in my toolbox at home. However, I was able to find an extensive yet inexpensive precision toolset kit on Amazon that contained this screwdriver as well as many other screwdriver bits that accommodate a wide variety and sizes of screw heads. Using this tool, and also applying a bit of Loctite, I was able to put the set screw securely back in place.

For owners of this particular lens (and there may be others), I suggest you examine the lens foot every once in a while to make sure the small set screw holding the knob in place is not working its way loose.

Baba Ganoush's gear list:Baba Ganoush's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon 1 AW1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 II Sony RX100 III +38 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow