G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Sundre
OP Sundre Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Re: G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

dkyl wrote:

Sundre wrote:

I spent some time googling this + reading forum threads. It all got a bit too technical for me. Would anyone be able to give a simple, non-technical answer to this question:

If I shoot the same low-light event (concert etc.) with these two combos, how many stops do I gain with the Z6? Image stabilisation does not matter much since the subjects are moving.

Combo #1: Panasonic G9 + PL 35-100/2.8

Combo #2: Nikon Z6 + Nikon 70-200/2.8

I would love a really simple answer, something like "1/50s with #1 will look more or less like 1/125s with #2". I don't need a technically perfect answer, just a rough ballpark figure.

Unless I have misunderstood something, the two components involved in making the Z6 the better combo for low light is the sensor and the lens. I don't really understand the technical aspects of that, and I would prefer not to have to understand them either.

The reason I'm asking is, I've been offered a used Z6 for 1,000 €, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. I realise it's a good price for a Z6 mark I in good condition, but I'm not rich. Getting some decent glass for it would be so expensive...

If I can get "good enough" results with something like the PL 35-100/2.8 or the Olympus 75/1.8 with my G9, I'm not sure I want to spend that much at this time.

Thank you

Hi Sundre,

I happen to have a G9 and a Z6 II and so I thought my experience might be relevant to you.

As others have pointed out, just use the equivalent settings to give you an idea of the relative performance. So a G9 with 35-100 f/2.8 will act approximately like a 70-200 f/5.6 on a Z6 so it's roughly a 2 stop difference.

Unless you want to switch system, I do find having multiple systems not completely ideal. As an alternative if the focal length suits you, have you considered a Panasonic 25-50 f/1.7? Now you're at 50-100 f/3.5 equivalent and gets you to within a half stop of the f/2.8 zooms on FF.

I personally use a 10-25 f/1.7 on my G9 because I find the focal length range far more appealing and after accounting for equivalence, I'm within a half stop of FF f/2.8 zooms so in low light it's largely a non-issue.

But I also have a 58 and 105mm f/1.4 that I use on my Z6 II so I have those options to go really shallow DOF and/or shoot in very low light when necessary.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, it does help. Unfortunately all of those lenses are way beyond my financial means at this time. I can't afford to pay over a thousand euros/dollars for a single lens. I can afford (2nd hand) to add either the PL 35-100/2.8 or the Oly 40-150/2.8, plus maybe the Oly 75/1.8 to my current lineup - or sell everything I have, and buy a 2nd hand Z6 mark I (mark II is too expensive for now) + something like the Tamron 70-200/2.8 + adapter.

If I had unlimited dosh, I would definitely get the Panasonic 10-25 and 25-50/1.7, that is such a perfect combo. Unfortunately I can't afford even one of them, never mind both.

Sundre's gear list:Sundre's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow