Beginner's luck

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,457
Beginner's luck

Having shot many cameras in my life, I can say that few, if any, approach the sheer "fun" of the EOS M50. Likewise, bang for buck, the M50 is unbeatable in value.

Who:

The M50 represents, IMHO, the best entry-level interchangeable lens camera on the market, ideal for those wanting more than smartphone photography, but on a budget, or, not sure what they want or enjoy to shoot. It's also good for those who want a second camera that isn't huge, or want access to say wide angle or macro capabilities, but without spending a fortune on one of Canon's L lenses, as an example.

Do:

Get the stock 15-45 and 55-200 lens/s; the discounts these lenses get bundled with the M50 are fabulous value particularly on a Canon refurb + sale which is common around the Xmas season.

Do:

Shoot lots with it. Don't be afraid of auto, or to leave auto. Video out of this guy, so long as you understand 1080P can be good, is your friend. Consider adding a EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake for low light or "street" photography. It's the new nifty fifty if you will. If you like creative landscapes? EF-M 11-22 also comes recommended. Use Av with f/2 if you get said 22 pancake as auto ignores f/2 on this lens. Vlog, take it places, shot lots with it (if I didn't already say that).

Don't:

4K video. Crop + rolling shutter makes it a gimmick on this model.

Consider carefully:

That awesome 32mm f/1.4 STM lens, or, any of the Sigma f/1.4 "trio" lenses. If you're considering them, consider the EOS M50 Mark II or M6 Mark II instead. You really should have continuous eye-AF to make the most of them. Even the M200 has it for that matter which is worth a mention. Now that didn't stop me from assigning the M-Fn button to switch between AF methods so I could have eye-AF, and it works well within that context. I prefer AI-servo 24/7 on this camera, except, when shooting f/1.4 and portraits, where you want that eye-AF.

More samples here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUqR8hQ

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 26, 2018
RLight's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow