Just for Fun Just after Sunrise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Just for Fun Just after Sunrise

I was taking the dogs for a walk a litter after sunrise and I noticed sun and clouds looked interesting with streaks coming through the clouds. So I when back and got my R5 with the RF24-240 hoping to get a shot of the sun with clouds through some trees. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the trees, some of the colors had already gone with the sun.  I simply used evaluative exposure in exposed for the bright spot in the sky. What I saw was just the outline of the trees in the viewfinder and the sky.  I used Aperture priority at ISO100.

I was curious what the trees would look like as they were essentially black as they were backlit so I figured I would use DxO PL4 to take advantage of the noise reduction. In the past, I have mostly used the tool just DeepPrime.  I ended up trying "ClearView Plus (set to 43) to bring out the sky and Smart Lighting with Intensity = 55 which brought out the trees. I used Micro contrast of 16 which seemed to perk up the leaves.

It's pretty much a nothing scene but still, I liked the net effect. I was particularly impressed by how easy it was to pull out just the shadows by the desired amount with the "Smart Lighting."

It is not a great photograph but I was pleased with the net overall effect. Something about the combination of the screaks of sunlight and trees. I have included the out-of-camera JPG with looked like pretty much nothing before processing.

DxO processing and some cropping

Out of camera JPG for comparison (use the RAW file with DXO for the processed image)

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow