Why Nikon is really updating the FTZ II for the Z9?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mobydick Contributing Member • Posts: 617
Re: Why Nikon is really updating the FTZ II for the Z9?

Fair enough, and kudos to Sony for doing it. My only point was that it was clearly not 'easy' - there's a reason it couldn't offer screwdrive AF, at the time it was launched, with the A7 mk i,ii,ii, the A7R mk i,ii,ii and the A7S line.

I agree that it was most likely not "easy". Actually, I think that it is quite an engineering feat to put all the mechanics, motor(s), and electronics in an adapter without this dreaded tripod thingy...

Therefore, I think that the criticism about the Sony adapter may be justified on the one hand, but since the motor and mechanics have only limited space, it is also well understandable on the other hand that the AF is not that quick and that screw-drive lenses with heavy AF units are slow.

At least for my needs reg. Nikon screw-drive AF on Z cameras, such an adapter would be perfectly sufficient and just great, but of course, requirements vary...

(And of course, the implicit hope/expectation would be that Nikon would manage to achieve compatibility for all present Z mount cameras and all screw-drive lenses without the severe restrictions which exist for the Sony LA-EA5 in this respect in the Sony world.)

-- hide signature --

Wolfram

mobydick's gear list:mobydick's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow