Replace aging MBP with iPad Pro for Travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyGordon Contributing Member • Posts: 659
My Non Adobe iPad/M1 MBP approach

From a non LR perspective.....

I have an M1 MBP, 512gb and 16gb ram and a 2018 12" iPadPro with 256gb storage. I am not an adobe user, so my choices will be different, but equally valid.

When away I tend to take the iPad rather than the MBP as its highly unlikely I will want or need the desk top apps.

MBP runs C1 v20, the Affinity suite and occasionally I'll dip into DXO and Nik - that's pretty much it.

On the iPad I'll use Photo's to ingest (I don't have this linked up to iCloud, so is local to the iPad) and RawPower to review. If I want to play I'll send a raw from RawPower into Affinity where I can do pixel level stuff. Affinity on the iPad is almost functionally equivalent to the desk top version and the files are interchangeable

I'll also make a backup of the images onto a separate SSD connected by USB-C

I'll delete the images I'm not interested in from the Photo's library (noting that I'll keep the backups until I'm home) and when home just export the images from Photo's directly to my NAS over wifi and then import into C1 catalogue on the MBP, back up the NAS and we're done

Any images that I've worked on in Affinity I'll save to my iCloud Drive and that will sync with my MBP when connected. Anything that I really want to keep I'll export as a tiff and send to C1, leaving the original Affinity image in iCloud Drive

When done I'll clear down Photos on the iPad ready for next time

Works well for me and I'll be interested to see what C1 come up with when they bring out their iPad version

Cheers

Andy

AndyGordon's gear list:AndyGordon's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow