Dual gain for cameras?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
Dual gain for cameras?

Hey guys, I am just curious if anyone knew the limitations for using dual gain conversion for light sensors in the same way that that an audio recorder like the Zoom F6 uses dual A/D converters for audio?

A bit more background: the Zoom F6 records sound using two A/D converters, one for the quieter stuff and one for the louder stuff (I think). It records these two values in a 32-bit floating point value, allowing much higher dynamic range than a single A/D converter storing the information in a 24 bit or even 32 bit integer.

Why don't cameras use this technology but for light? Is it because there are just too many pixels and it would be too computationally expensive? The Zoom F6 is so good you can use any amount of gain and you can pretty much bring it back in post. Such a technology in cameras would make overexposure a thing of the past and give us way more dynamic range.

The only downside is that it would likely make our Raw files much larger.

P.S. I don't really know all the specifics of the technologies here so what I'm saying might be a bit vague.

-- hide signature --

My personal (noncommercial) website: https://jpolak.org/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow