Replace aging MBP with iPad Pro for Travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: Replace aging MBP with iPad Pro for Travel?

acnomad wrote:

I've been traveling with a 15" MBP (mid-2015) which is in need of retirement. I also carry an even older iPad mini which largely serves as a giant iPod at this point. I do a fair amount of post in LR and PS on the MBP while traveling and use a portable SSD to backup on the go, reconciling all via GoodSync to a Mac mini M1 each time I return home. I am trying to become a bit more agile (i.e., lighten my carryon bag) going forward. Has anyone who travels frequently migrated from carrying a MBP down to only an iPad Pro? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have an iPad Pro 9.6 (mid 2016) with pencil and keyboard, and an ipad 12.9 Pro M1 with 16GB, 1TB, and keyboard and pencil.  I do my main editing on a Mini with two displays.  I like the iPads, but they are not replacements for a Mac, macOS and the related software.

I would not use my iPads for more than temporary storage after culling and basic editing.  Using the iPad I can get a quick idea of what I want to keep, but the iPad and mobile LR is not enough for significant editing, and the workflow is somewhat more complex, requiring syncing (which I find somewhat buggy, and itself requires an upgrade in what Adobe provides as free cloud storage).

I suggest that you have two options:  If you really want to do significant processing while traveling then you need an MB Air to replace your MBP 15, and merge the catalogs when you get home.  If you can resist the temptation to edit while away then get an iPad Air.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow