Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
Re: A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

yray wrote:

BasilG wrote:

yray wrote:

BasilG wrote:

yray wrote:

briantilley wrote:

I'm not sure that an article about camera capabilities is relevant to the question of how the Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S stacks up against either of the F-mount equivalents.

It is relevant because of the referenced point in time when none of the S lenses yet existed, or had even been conceived. I find the notion that before the latest tech no one could take a decent pic ever so slightly on the preposterous side.

That's a straw man. Nobody made that claim.

Nobody might have made this claim explicitly because it is patently absurd...

Then why do you make it?

... but every time one upgrades beyond certain gear quality level, one makes this assumption implicitly, perhaps not for the entire world, but for one's own particular case.

That's clearly not true.

One has to, otherwise dropping many a grand to “transition” is not a rational thing to do. Therefore it has to be rationalized by convincing oneself of all the benefits, real or imaginary. It is not a hard thing to do when a lot of money has been spent. It would be much harder to find someone who significantly depleted his savings to admit that it was an unwarranted thing to do, But I would find that rare individual much more believable because it wouldn’t be an ego-bolstering admission.

Trust us we do not have bottomless pockets. Some of us make a living from doing this and moving our gear from DSLRs to mirrorless is a natural path of progression of finding the new tool to address our changing job requirements and expanding our repertoire. We're not married to our old gear, so we will retire old gear when they fall behind or just naturally get worn out. It's the natural process of refreshing old inventory.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow