Aspherical elements in lenses

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nameless0ne
nameless0ne Regular Member • Posts: 403
Aspherical elements in lenses

Hi guys,

If you are fine with that -- I want to start another "technological" thread here.

Recently, I found interesting article about a way, in which Panasonic is trying to overcome technological limitations when building aspherical elements for lenses:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/05/02/the-end-of-onion-ring-bokeh-panasonic-beats-the-curse-of-aspheric-lenses

That article let me think about modern lenses and there aspherical elements -- I actually never thought that issues with lens rendering are connected to them! I checked some new Canon RF lenses -- and most of them (24-70, 50 1.2, 85 1.2) are heavily utilising aspherical glass. At the same time -- 2 my very best GF lenses: 63 2.8 and 110 2.0 has no any aspherical elements in them.

I can understand, that Aspherical element in the lens do not necessary mean it will have bad rending or ugly bokeh, but seems it's really a case in many modern FF lenses: Canon RF 24-70 2.8, RF 50 1.2, RF 85 2.0 are those that I have tried and in some conditions they produce harsher and more "digital" images in out of focus areas.

At the same time Canon RF 82 1.2 (3 aspherical elements) and Sigma 40 1.4 Art (1 aspherical) are totally great with nice out of focus areas rendering.

What actually impacts on that? Lens design or just better/different aspherical elements are used?

nameless0ne's gear list:nameless0ne's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Nikon Z5 Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow