A7s III as a sports camera? AF tracking perfs with stills?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noegd
noegd Senior Member • Posts: 1,287
A7s III as a sports camera? AF tracking perfs with stills?

I am considering moving to Sony full frame mirrorless for my action photography needs (mostly outdoors and indoors amateur athletics events). I currently shoot those with Nikon DSLRs and only tested the Sony A7 II and Nikon Z6 sor far, which weren't entirely up to task yet.

The Sony A9 II is an obvious candidate (as is the A1 I guess) but I'd like exploring cheaper options since I will also have to invest in new 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 lenses.

The Sony A7 III is getting a bit old and still has the old menu system which I'm not fond of (understatement), and I was wondering whether the very recent A7s III also had effectively the same AF tracking performance as the other recent alphas.

The 10fps are fine with me, the 12Mp will limit the cropping options compared to shooting with a 24Mp not to mention 50Mp but then I shot for a while with a 4Mp D2Hs and enjoyed it tremendeously. That 9Mp EVF is also quite tempting.

So, anyone using the A7s III as a sports camera?

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile...

noegd's gear list:noegd's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Leica M9 Nikon D750 Sony a7 II Leica M10 +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D2Hs Nikon Z6 Sony a1 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony a7S Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow