Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,602
Re: Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

Kharan wrote:

Franz304 wrote:

Hi,

this is just out of personal curiosity, but I have been wondering whether some of you out there are going to buy the 40 mm specifically for use on DX.
For me 40 mm is a weird focal length on DX (it's 60 mm FF equivalent) and it feels too narrow for most of the photography I do. It's also kinda wide for portraits, so to me this is kind of a no man's land.
What are your thoughts? Do you shoot this FL often on DX?

On FX, the 39-43mm range is simply my most used FL setting, no contest. So you can bet I’ll get this lens! It’ll also work wonders on the Z fc, as on DX, the same range is still something I use about 15% of the time.

This is an interesting experiment to analyze your shots on a zoom. And I've done that quite recently also.

I used to be all about my primes, but kind of switched to zooms 24-70/70-200 for utility purposes on working shoots.

On a recent quick outdoor portrait shoot, I used my 70-200 and didn't even look at the focal length, just tried to shoot naturally and see what landed...and looked the best to my eye.

Basically all my shots were in the 120-160 range... which surprised me, as I always just kind of went with an 85 or 105 type prime for portraits, b/c that's what everybody says you should get.

But obviously that isn't my preferred range when I have free reign. I'd probably do well with a 135mm instead if I were to get a prime in this range.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow