DTP20 with X-Rite Pulse Color Elite on a Win 10 64 bit system.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,460
Re: About the ColorMunki Photo (my experience)

I find that the ColorMunki Photo works well by my standards. Although limited testing indicates I have good to very good color acuity, I'm strictly an amateur....

Interesting to hear the Colormunki gives good results without having to read huge quantity of patches. I have also heard that from others.

Part of it is that after measuring the first, standard set of 50 patches, it custom-designs a second set of an additional 50 or 100 patches, presumably in a way that intelligently identifies and focuses on the problem areas. My personal take is that the X-Rite algorithm seems to be quite intelligent at this. Depending on how linear the printer is, I can imagine this may well be every bit as effective / accurate as the more usual 'brute force' approach of a single, pre-determined and typically evenly-spaced group of e.g. 729 patches (a 9x9x9 matrix) or 1728 patches (a 12x12x12 matrix). I suspect that this approach works better for some printers (and some papers) than for others. I'm not aware of any comparative tests, but conducting them would be interesting. Maybe somebody would like to run some experiments.

But how does it linearize the output? Thanks.

What do you mean "linearize the output"? AFAIK the Canon Pro-1000, 2000, 2100, 4000, 4100, 6000, and 6100 all have an internal system (hardware and firmware) to linearize their output in the sense of making each ink channel conform to output specifications. That's what I meant by linearize. But no profiling system--not a ColorMunki Photo or even an i1 Photo Pro 3--can linearize a printer. All such systems do it profile the printer, that is, characterize its behavior, i.e., measure what colors it puts out with various combinations of inputs. Once that behavior is characterized, the ICC profile built from the characterization allows the printing software to accurately print any color within the achievable gamut.

Put another way: we calibrate and profile monitors because we can adjust monitors' physical behavior with regular user-accessible controls. We cannot calibrate most printers, because most of them do not have such user-accessible controls. The aforementioned Canon pro printers have built-in calibration, which AFAIK the user can trigger but not otherwise control or affect. Regardless, for all printers, we can profile them, i.e., measure their actual behavior, and then account for that to print accurate color.

Does that make sense?

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow