Z7II - AF not yet what youtubers may expect

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jjuncal Forum Member • Posts: 89
Z7II - AF not yet what youtubers may expect

Hi there,

being on vacations last week I did a few tries with the AF in some of the favourites conditions that youtubers like to confront systems. with someone running towards the camera

In my usecase, I needed to take pictures of a little girl aged 3 yo running towards me.

configuration : Z7II paired with the 70-200mm 2.8s set AF-C with large box and eye/face detection // 1/500 sec f2.8 with iso auto.

The results are that while the girl was far and small in the frame the pictures where totally fine but as closer she was from me as more backfocused she was with the focus in the ears or the hair.

although, this usecase represents 1% of my shots because I'm mainly shooting static subjects or landscapes, I can understand frustration of some of us because what we see through youtube videos in other systems are of look they have better AF.

I want to add that I did not test sony or canon in the same conditions so cannot compare the output results. what I can say is that the AF from my Z7II feels more robust thant first gen but the af layout feels like a toy compared to the R6 that I had in my hands recently that looks more snappy.

cheers

jjuncal's gear list:jjuncal's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cna
HUN
HUN
cna
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow