G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,180
Re: The simple answer

Sundre wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Despite the well repeated facts, which are undoubtedly correct, the G9 plus Panasonic 35-100/2.8 is quite capable of making quite adequate acceptable images in a concert hall or theatre where they stage is reasonably well lit.

These type of threads are hugely destructive for M4/3.

Thanks Tom. Apologies, I have nothing against MFT. Just a beginner trying to figure out what kind of gear I need to invest in next. Found a great little place renting out all sorts of camera gear not far from me, will try all sorts of MFT lenses and then some FF gear and see what feels best.

I'm bad at theory and tried googling this first but couldn't make heads or tails of most threads/articles. To be honest, I can't make heads or tails of the more technical posts in this thread either

But I can take pictures and see how they come out, and renting is the perfect way to figure out what I need without having to ruin the bank account.

I think that you are taking the best course of action on what is basically a guess and a limited budget.

The theory you have been given is not wrong but I think that you needed to know that M4/3 is a very capable format and the images can be quite good enough in practice.  You will notice that the M4/3 captures have not blown out the ISO levels and f2.8 widest aperture is quite good enough for purpose.  The available light is important and f2.8 is good enough for reasonably well lit but might struggle more in dimly lit.

I have also used the Olympus 12-100/4.0 tested in theatre and it actually handled well lit stages quite well.  It is a very versatile and capable lens.

Note that even the 16mm of the now aging GX7 worked quite well.

Furthermore note my comment that the 50D (aps-c) with killer Canon 400/2.8 lens was using 1250 ISO which was a lot higher than the M4/3 bodies and was taken during an arguably better lit show.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow