Traveling with only a phone camera Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,540
Re: Traveling with only a phone camera

DO as what works put for you. Nothing right nor nothing wrong.

timoteotresgatos wrote:

I have a new phone with a 12mp camera which takes great pics and it even does HDR well for those high contrast days. It even shoots raw+high.

It depends on a few factors:

• IQ on the image in a size you will usually look at them, says on a smaller screen, and you don't mind the artifacts etc hidden inside;
  • the limitation of lenses of a phone (it won't matter if you are a one lens guy);
  • degree of control and easy of operation (won't matter if you are P&S and under full auto).

Because of the above, I prefer a proper camera rather than return home with a shot to my satisfaction.

I also have a nikon D7000 which takes great pics but weighs as much as whale and is incredibly bulky with my zoom lens.

Thus is a reason, and only reason to use M43 system. A Panasonic GX85, a 12~35 f/2.8 standard walking around lens (eq to 24~70 of FF), a 7~14 f/4 ultrawide (eq to 14~28), a 45~150 f/4~5.6 tele lens (eq to 90~300) plus a 15 f/1.7 prime lens (eq to 30) for low lighting, has a combined weight of <1.3Kg, while only +/-700g always on my hand... I could reduce >200g if replace the f/2.8 zoom by a f/3.5 kit lens.

My setup won't weight me down, but still allows me to enjoy photographing with a nearly full range of focal length of lenses for most usual need. The cost is merely <1 stop of noisier on highee ISO from APSC or 2 stops from FF. I am happy with ISO3200 without NR in PP of my camera. Would it work for you?

I had recently looked at the FF Panasonic S5, which has a body not much bigger than my M43 G85. However while I looked at the L-mount FF lenses, no thanks. I have no confidence to carry lenses of similar coverage as my current M43 setup to walk for hours under all sort of weather condition.

Manageable size and weight, acceptable IQ, good enough lens support at affordable cost is my criteria on choosing a system.

I wondered how it would work out if I traveled with just my phone? The exposure of this point-and-shoot camera is almost always right on.

I have seen stories on this site and others about serious photographers traveling with only a phone to exotic locations and showing great results

AFAIK it is totally depending on the level of acceptance. His standard might not be yours, so the result could be difference.

Has anyone here traveled with only a mobile phone camera? How did you feel about the results? Did you miss your "big" camera?

I always carry my phone with me anywhere, but it is for my communication, navigation, translation, library, entertainment, to certain degree my wallet as well. Phone camera, not for the purpose to take photo, only good to record something not really matter... To take a picture, camera is my choice.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
i8z
mxx
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow