K3-iii and hummers

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,407
K3-iii and hummers

I've shot hummers before with a K5iis and it required prefocusing and some luck. Was sitting out on my back porch early evening with the K3-iii and saw this Ruby-throated Hummingbird begin to work the Firecracker blooms. I used center point focus and AF-S and simply pointed and shot. I'm impressed with how well the camera kept the eye of the hummer in focus irrespective of the background. The hummer was in near constant motion and even at ISO 1600 and f/4.5 the shutter speed was not fast enough to freeze the wings.

Based on what I've read the bird in these images is a juvenile male. Like dragonflies, juvenile male hummingbirds are very similar to their mothers with a few subtle differences. During the months of August and September the birds double in size to be able to make the migration across the Gulf to Central America.

Shot with DA*300 f4, handheld.

Enjoy!

1) Easiest to capture/focus on.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (juvenile male). Note the streaked throat and buffy lower sides.

2) Harder as the hummer is in flight but little distracting background.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (juvenile male).

3) Hardest due to constant motion and distracting background. K3-iii still held focus on the eye. Impressive.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (juvenile male). All Ruby throated hummers have white feathers just behind the eye.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow