Mobile phone plus telephoto lens

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
martinhb Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Mobile phone plus telephoto lens

I was out walking along a local river bank with my favourite go to 12-100mm F/4 lens where I saw a guy taking photos with his mobile phone attached to a tripod mounted telephoto lens. You know, one of those cheap plastic Zeiss kits. The air was cold & clear so there was minimal heat wave image distortion of the church spire he had lined up on. The onion shaped dome, about 2000ft away, filled the screen. I asked if it worked as expected whereupon he easily removed the phone from the lens & showed how he'd modified the phone cover to be able to attach directly to the lens adapter. Neat work. The phone had a 12MP camera plus pixel binning up to 48MP. He could not only zoom the Zeiss Harpia 23x70 lens but zoom in on the pixel binned image.

Astounding images but e.g. regarding BIF's & such, no chance.

If piggybacked to an astro mount for star gazing it'd be interesting to see how that worked out.

Question is whatever OM Digital Solutions are planing with its forthcoming new camera it'd better be good. So good as to hold off the competition, that's including smartphone image techno gimmicks, for the next few years to come.

Arrow marks the dome the smartphone user had on his screen.

The leaning tower in the middle is not some weird lens distorsion but leans in a similar way that the tower of Pisa does.

martinhb's gear list:martinhb's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow