Very steep learning curve, but great camera

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeep_Joseph
Jeep_Joseph Regular Member • Posts: 276
Very steep learning curve, but great camera

Keep in mind that I am coming from a d4, so I am very hard to impress.  However, the em1 has impressed me so far.  The em1 has solid low light performance and dynamic range. When you consider it's a m43 sensor, its amazing. Imo, it can keep up with my gh5. The em1 also has amazing af. I used it with a 75mm 1.8 to track a humming bird in flight and it did quite well. The af is lightning-fast. However, at times I have noticed the af sydtem trying to fight me. When I first got my em1, I hated it. The camera has a very steep learning curve. At times I still feel that I haven't quite gotten past the learning curve. The camera has so much customization that it is easy to mess up. I also had accidentally introduced noise and banding by messing up the picture control. P.S the build of the em1 is amazing. I have had it in pouring rain and sandstorms and it has taken it perfectly. In terms of built it can compete with my d4.

Jeep_Joseph's gear list:Jeep_Joseph's gear list
Nikon D3S Pentax K-5 Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 +16 more
Olympus OM-D E-M1
16 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Sep 10, 2013
Jeep_Joseph's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Nikon D4 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow