Mode Dial why ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wildblanket Regular Member • Posts: 125
Mode Dial why ?

Can anyone explain to me why the Z cameras have this huge design flaw ?

Is it somehow inherent to a mirrorless design ?

Does it have some usefulness which has completely passed me by ?

I have had Nikon DSLRs since D200 and quite early on they had memory banks where you could store 4 sets of user settings. I have always found those functional.

The new dial means M, A, S and P are totally useless to me as I have no idea what little bombshells might be hiding in their current settings. But if I am using U1 which I have set up, I can't change the mode (to A for example), and if I make some adjustments for the current shoot (such as aperture and shutter speed) they are immediately reset if I switch the camera off for a break (or as one should do to change lenses).

I am guessing that this approach is copied off some other manufacturer with a poorer record of camera interface design, but maybe someone can suggest a more positive explanation.

At least the focus points revert to the User stored position which goes a tiny way as a workaround for the lack of a means of locking the focus points.

-- hide signature --

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another.

wildblanket's gear list:wildblanket's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D800 Nikon D810
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow