A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,418
Re: A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

Bruce Ferjulian wrote:

So all the hype about mirrorless was for size and weight but so far all the mirrorless lenses are larger than their previous counterparts. This is not a scientific analysis but this is a 30k/ft comparison using a 50mm lens which shows the differences are still minor.

Yes, mirrorless is quiet, I'll give it that.

Unfortunately you may not be entirely up to date on this issue. Yes, if I recall correctly, in the beginning, years ago, mirrorless was marketed as a smaller and lighter alternative. I would call this bait and switch marketing, because it isn't. Well, if you stick with the APS-C size sensor, then the system like Fuji is indeed generally smaller and lighter. But anything with an FX size sensor will have lenses just as large as the DSLR lenses. The body might be indeed smaller and lighter, but with large lenses it is no advantage at all, the balance and handling are worse in my opinion.

Quiet it might be, but how quiet does it have to be for most uses? A D810 is pretty darn quiet too IMO.

There are a few things going for ML, sometimes it makes it easier to manually focus lenses, sometimes IBIS could be very helpful. But by and large you may spend a fortune "switching" and get the exact same pics you already get with the DSLR.

I do see real advantages of mirrorless on the supply side though. Purportedly ML is cheaper to make because of the dearth of moving parts and precision alignments compared to DSLR, but it doesn't mean at all that the sale price will be any lower. Getting people to re-buy the same lenses because, well, they are supposed to be better is another advantage for camera companies. Whether these lenses are better in a way that will make your pictures meaningfully and visibly better is another question altogether of course. And, of course, it is an opportunity to sell new bodies.

The way I look at it, this mirrorless transition is of most interest to those who prize being on the cutting edge of technology, because mirrorless is where all the buzz is now. If this isn't a high priority, there is no there there.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow