I want a crop dial!

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iljitsch Contributing Member • Posts: 928
I want a crop dial!

This came to me in a dream:

On many cameras, you can select from a few image aspect ratios, such as 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1.

Although I'm not into post processing, I do find that pretty much all my photos benefit from being cropped. Obviously good composition would make some of that unnecessary, except that when shooting, you're basically tied to your choice of two aspect ratios: usually 3:2 and 2:3 (rotating the camera 90 degrees).

So what if camera makers let us use a wheel to dial in the aspect ratio? So in the middle position you'd be at 1:1. One click to the left and it's 1:1.1, then 1:1.2, 1.3 and so on. (The exact step sizes to be determined.) Turn it in the other direction, and you get taller and taller aspect ratios rather than wider and wider ones.

Along with zooming and/or moving forward and backward, this would in theory obviate the need for any cropping in post processing.

And with this, the shape of the sensor becomes largely meaningless, too. Why not have a square sensor, so you can shoot in portrait without rotating the camera? A round sensor that takes advantage of the full image circle?

Who's with me?

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow