Z-50 on an early morning hike

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 2,287
Z-50 on an early morning hike

https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/

Here in San Jacinto (in Southern California) we are still in the midst of a heat wave, but the mornings have cooled off a bit; so I decided to take the dogs and my Z-50 (with the 16-50 lens) on an early morning hike.  It had been four months since I'd been on a hike; so  I needed the exercise more than I needed great light.

Some of the shots, that I didn't keep, were too dark.  It was technically past dawn when we started out, but the sun had yet to come over our mountain.

I crippled my right leg a bit a couple of years ago and so began looking for lighter gear just as the Z-50 was being issued.  I also have some light weight Olympus gear; which I was going to concentrate on if the Z-50 wasn't cutting it for early-morning hikes.  At first I was a bit critical of the results, thinking the IBIS of my Pentax (unfortunately much heavier) and my Olympus gear might handle a bit better, but ended up thinking my criticism was unjustified.   The morning, after all, was dark, I did get several shots worth keeping, and I was after all primarily concerned about resuming a hiking regimen if my bad leg would let me. I ended up thinking I would delay alternating with my Olympus gear and tried to remember whether the Z-50 with the 16-50 lens had any weather protection.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Pentax K20D +118 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow