Any love for GIMP ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,446
Order of operations

With DxO, the only time I undo a previous edit is after changing exposure compensation I then apply smart lighting, so compensation was not needed. If PL4 displayed these modules in reverse order, it would happen less.

(Darktable tutorials recommend starting with exposure compensation. Is this standard?)

This is getting OT, but my own approach is usually to start with white balance unless I want to make a major change in overall exposure and/or the curve, in which case I do that first and white balance second. Sometimes it is an iterative process as I try to achieve the best overall look though changes to exposure, the curve (or sometimes separate red, green, and blue curves), and sometimes DxO Smart Lighting or occasionally DxO ClearView. Generally I want to be pretty satisfied with these controls before I adjust saturation, vibrance, or any particular color channel. I can adjust noise reduction to taste after the first set of changes, either before or after the color edits. Geometry and sharpening are usually among the last changes.

Back to the topic, I sometimes undo or modify previous edits, most substantially when I want to create a version with a different aesthetic vision. It is not the norm, but for me not rare.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow