Nearly Extinct Atala, Birds & Bugs & Reptiles too, Oh My (9/17/21)

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,478
Snapa,

snapa wrote:

Another very nice set of pictures. It's still in the 100-105 range, even in September.

Yep - was just out there Saturday.  Still brutal!

I'm looking forward to some cooler weather, and the migration to begin in a November!

Migration will kick in big by October (it's already started with the pass-throughs, but the wintering birds should start next month arriving)...but the temps probably won't really cool down until December.  If we're lucky, we'll get more consistently in the 80s by November and if we're really lucky, maybe get a small cool front or two pass through like last year.

If I were that hawk, I'd find that blackbirds nest, and have a feast.

I think that every time I see those little birds charging a hawk - they could almost hit the brakes, turn around, and open their mouth, and get a meal right in the air.  Most of the time, the hawks play it cool though.

Those leftovers that crow is eating looks more the the remains of a rat if you look at the feet. Basilisk lizards feet look much different.

I definitely thought the same - the tail looked more lizard like at first, but there were other clues it could have been some kind of rodent.

Thanks for commenting and looking, and for the picks.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow