G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,191
40-150, S1 Re: Less noise but also less DoF

Sundre wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Be aware that at the same ISO, the same f-stop, the same shutter speed, and the same field of view, the Z6 will give you a two-stop improvement when it comes to signal-noise ratio (which is of course desirable) but also two stops less depth of field (which is less desirable, at least based on my taste and experiences). So what you gain in one regard, you lose in another.

When I shoot concerts, I typically try to do it primarily with the Olympus 75/1.8 (which corresponds to a 150 mm lens on FF wrt angle of view). Shooting that lens wide open, I usually manage to get enough DoF for decent shots (see example below) but I’d rather have more than less of it. This is particularly so since musicians tend to move when they play making it harder to nail focus.

One thing I don’t understand is why you need as high an ISO for concert shots as 8000 and still can’t use a shutter speed higher than 1/50 s at f/2.8. What type of concerts are these?

Apologies, I wasn't clear. I currently only own the Panasonic 12-60/3.5-5.6 and 100-300/4-5.6, so I've mostly been shooting at f/5.6. I was offered a good price for a used Z6 and started thinking about whether I should invest in faster MFT glass or switch over to FF. I can't afford both.

If this is is what you’re using now, and you’re otherwise happy with the G9, then you should buy faster lenses rather than buy a new camera AND new lenses.

The 40-150mmF2.8 has dual AF motors, and may be available a little cheaper now that the 50-200 and upcoming 40-150mmF4 are in the picture. It takes TC, too. Many G9 photographers use them.

I usually try to keep shutter speed at 1/250 s or so since many musicians move quite a bit as they play/sing. At f/1.8, that typically means ISO 400 to 800 with standard stage lighting (or ISO 800 to ISO 1600 at f/2.8). See example below illustrating my point about DoF as well as the ISOs/exposure values I typically use.

I'll rent the 75/1.8 and see how it feels.

btw, mirrorlesscomparison.com found that the 75mm and the 35-100mm@100mm framed alike for distant subjects: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/micro-four-thirds-lenses/olympus-75mm-f1-8-vs-panasonic-35-100mm-f2-8/

Will also rent the 35-100/2.8 and try it out as well, along with FF gear.

You seem hesitant about the Z6. The prices will only decrease, and if you add or swap systems, you may as well do so on your own terms, and in your own time.

The Lumix FF cameras would make more sense in terms of operational efficiency in tandem with (or succeeding) the G9, and the lenses are far cheaper than (and more extensive) than Nikon Z since there are also the native Sigma lenses (and EF adaptors etc.) The lighting protocols are the same between S1/S5 and the G9, too.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
"If lies can begin wars then the truth can end them." Jx/xxn Xssxngx
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow