A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,849
Re: A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

thayes15 wrote:

Bruce Ferjulian wrote:

So all the hype about mirrorless was for size and weight but so far all the mirrorless lenses are larger than their previous counterparts. This is not a scientific analysis but this is a 30k/ft comparison using a 50mm lens which shows the differences are still minor.

Yes, mirrorless is quiet, I'll give it that.

NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S [ 3.0 in. (76.0 mm) x 3.4 in. (86.5 mm) 14.7 oz. (415 g) ] %17 Wider / %55 Longer / %63 Heavier
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D [ 2.5 in. (63.5 mm) x 1.5 in. (39.0 mm) 5.5 oz. (155 g) ]

NIKON Z 7II [ 4.0 in. H x 5.3 in. W 21.7 oz. ] %19 Shorter / %9 Narrower / %33 Lighter
NIKON D850 [ 4.9 in. H x 5.8 in. W 32.3 oz. ]

[ NIKON Z 7II + NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S ] 36.4 oz. = %4 Lighter but %55 Longer
[ NIKON D850 + AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D ] 37.8 oz.

Yes it seems to be the more modern the lens the more complicated its design to account for various lens aberrations. I'm no expert but this seems to mean more glass elements and bigger lenses.

The reality I would say is a bit of both, the more recent S F/1,8 primes especially are clearly designed to a higher standard of performance than the F-mount F/1.8 primes were BUT the shorter flange distance does sometimes result in longer lenses as well.

The argument for smaller mirrorless lenses does tend to go back to the days of film were rangefinder lenses could be non retrosfocal and so a lot smaller. Film though could cope with light hitting it at an angle much more than digital so digital era lenses tend to need to be more telecentric anyway. Its a lot of the reason why the Z-mount is so large, often you have a large rear element directing the light onto the sensor as close to right angles as possible.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow