Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,950
Re: G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Sundre wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

2 stops

One metric is DXoMarks' sports iso rating

Z6 = 3299

GH5=807 ( I believe the G9 has basically the same sensor as that in the GH5)

so that is a factor of 4 i.e. 2 stops - like most recent m43 sensors.

The exception is the Oly PDAF 20 mpx sensor in the em1.2 etc. which seem to be around 1300 - aps-c level ).

These are 1.3 stops below the Z6.

These are the numbers but I use Nikon 1 ( 1 inch ), m43, aps-c and a Z6 and I just set everything to auto iso and just see what I can get away with in terms of shutter, ibis for static subjects and so on . AI noise reduction in DXO PL4 or Topaz helps a lot.

Can you get a faster lens ? - either a native prime or an adapted one ? Like the cheapish 45/1.8 or the nor so cheap but brilliant 75/1.8 - thats before going the the 1.2 pro glass or the Pan equivalents.

Even going from 2.8 to 1.8 glass recovers 1.3 stops.

Trying out the 75/1.8 is what I will do.

I should note that I don't even have f/2.8 MFT glass yet, I've been mainly relying on my Panasonic 12-60/3.5-5.6 and 100-300 II/4.5-5.6... Which obviously massively limits low light performance.

I'm sort of trying to decide whether MFT can give me good enough low light performance, or whether I should upgrade to FF now before I have a significant investment in MFT glass.

I'm a beginner. I've only been shooting for a year and I only have three cheap Panasonic lenses so far.

Have you considered that some concerts won’t allow large long zooms as in the 70-200 f2.8 lens you are considering with a Z6?

The 75mm f1:8 lens can be got for half price used. I did so a couple of years ago. It’s also unobtrusive.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Brandon.
Olympus EM1mIII, EM10 mII, Sony RX10 M4, RX100 M7
Nikon V1,V3, D500, D810
FlickR Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/

Brandon birder's gear list:Brandon birder's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow