G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 45,431
Re: 2 stops.

Sundre wrote:

Sure. The DPR test scene shots I linked pretty much tell the story, but renting and trying it out tells you a lot more about the camera in terms of operation, which may well be more important to you than IQ.

I recommend renting the camera with an 85 / 1.8S prime, a wider f/1.8S prime of your choice, and a 24-70 / 4S.

The 24-70 / 4S will give effectively you a stop over the 12-35 / 2.8 on mFT (e.g., f/4 ISO 12800 should perform as well as f/2.8 ISO 6400 on mFT). However, I don't know if they have a 70-200 / 4S out yet (I think just the f/2.8S, which is big and expensive).

Indeed there isn't a 70-200/f4 yet... Although I think the 70-210 f/4 works with the FTZ adapter.

I don't shoot concerts, but here's a photo I took at 1/50 ISO 6400:

So it looks like you're shooting in light a stop darker than even that!

Might be similar... The light is constantly shifting at these events.

In that case, you'll probably want to be using Auto ISO.  That makes renting all the more an issue 'cause you'll want to know how well the Z6 meters with Auto ISO.

Try ISO 25600 and "deep prime" in DxO's PhotoLab 4. That might do the trick for you.

Thank you. I do use Photolab 4, and it can usually salvage a well-exposed G9 photo at ISO 12,800 - but there just isn't enough detail left at 25,600, even for DxO.

Ah -- well, rent a Z6 (and/or Z6.2 to see if the new version is "enough better" to justify the higher price).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow