G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Sundre
OP Sundre Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Re: G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

SonyX wrote:

Sundre wrote:

SonyX wrote:

I have A7III and G9. Day time photos - there are minor difference, but at night - it is noticeable. For a paid job - G9 is ok in some situations, but not with difficult lighting condition or fast action.

75/1.8 might be a good solution, but you will miss versatility of the zoom lens, when you are locked at the same shooting spot at the concert. Also, it is slow on G9.
So, you will need more lenses - 56/1.4, 42.5/1.2, 30/1.4 ... or FF+ f/2.8 zoom

Alex

Thank you. Is the 75/1.8 significantly slower on the G9 compared to Olympus cameras? Much slower than, say, the Sigma 56/1.4?

I don't have Olympus and can't compare to 56/1.4. It tend to hunt time to time even in perfect light. It can't follow the action as good as some native lenses and 40-150/2.8.
For me 35-100/2.8 - is also slow.

Search for used A7III, they should be around $1200 or less, buy tamron 70-180/2.8 or/and S85/1.8 - and you will be covered.
2 stops of ISO/SS difference, better DR and a bit more resolution/ability to crop.

Hmm. Ok, thanks for the input. Everyone seems to hate on Sony for making cameras that are uncomfortable to use, but it's probably one of those things you can only figure out by trying them out. I'll see if I can rent one...

As for prices, unfortunately I live in Europe and used A7 IIIs seem to go for 1,700 €, which is 2,000 USD. That is almost twice as much as the Z6 I was offered.

Sundre's gear list:Sundre's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow