Any love for GIMP ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
charlyw64 Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: Any love for GIMP ?

graybalanced wrote:

Kumsa wrote:

I was watching Gavin Hoey (what a personable guy) create a composite image with Photoshop and realized that everything he did was available in GIMP.

You will see by many of the replies that Photoshop in fact has many features that GIMP does not have, and that may point up a possible logic flaw in your conclusion.

You concluded that GIMP looks as good as Photoshop because it was demonstrated that everything the guy did in Photoshop was available in GIMP. But that does not mean he showed everything available in Photoshop. What you did not account for is that the demonstrator might not have shown valuable Photoshop compositing features which do exist and save time, but are not in GIMP.

Yes that is something that often the GIMP (and other editor advocates) do forget - the Adobe tools are not as static as they make them look. In fact only recently they got a lot of additional features which set them apart from the competition by offering considerable improvements - both in terms of features and in terms of usability/convenience.

For example, Adobe has put a lot of effort into intelligent automatic selections and mask refinement with AI. Even if the AI masks are not perfect straight away, they are good enough to give a major head start in time over a user who only has GIMP. The comments about nondestructive editing are useful, nondestructive techniques are so important that is one reason I do not use GIMP.

I concur. I was using GIMP for a long time - but PS is so far ahead that it massively cut down on the time I needed to do the most complex edits I have ever tried, and that included the time to learn to use the new program and tools.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow