G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
SonyX
SonyX Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: G9 vs. Z6 @ 2.8 in low light

Sundre wrote:

I spent some time googling this + reading forum threads. It all got a bit too technical for me. Would anyone be able to give a simple, non-technical answer to this question:

If I shoot the same low-light event (concert etc.) with these two combos, how many stops do I gain with the Z6? Image stabilisation does not matter much since the subjects are moving.

Combo #1: Panasonic G9 + PL 35-100/2.8

Combo #2: Nikon Z6 + Nikon 70-200/2.8

I would love a really simple answer, something like "1/50s with #1 will look more or less like 1/125s with #2". I don't need a technically perfect answer, just a rough ballpark figure.

Unless I have misunderstood something, the two components involved in making the Z6 the better combo for low light is the sensor and the lens. I don't really understand the technical aspects of that, and I would prefer not to have to understand them either.

The reason I'm asking is, I've been offered a used Z6 for 1,000 €, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. I realise it's a good price for a Z6 mark I in good condition, but I'm not rich. Getting some decent glass for it would be so expensive...

If I can get "good enough" results with something like the PL 35-100/2.8 or the Olympus 75/1.8 with my G9, I'm not sure I want to spend that much at this time.

Thank you

I have A7III and G9. Day time photos - there are minor difference, but at night - it is noticeable. For a paid job - G9 is ok in some situations, but not with difficult lighting condition or fast action.

75/1.8 might be a good solution, but you will miss versatility of the zoom lens, when you are locked at the same shooting spot at the concert. Also, it is slow on G9.
So, you will need more lenses - 56/1.4, 42.5/1.2, 30/1.4 ... or FF+ f/2.8 zoom

Alex
http://www.instagram.com/alex_cy

SonyX's gear list:SonyX's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow