LG 55 inch 8k monitor at sub $1k announced

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Davi7d777
Davi7d777 Regular Member • Posts: 354
LG 55 inch 8k monitor at sub $1k announced

For several years I've been waiting for larger sized 8k MONITORs than the 32 inch Dell UP3218K and instead the only thing the industry or the vast majority of members on boards like this have had interest in are TV's, the 800 pound gorilla of the market. Several times I've posted why on this board that has just been ignored with yawns and a few criticisms like "no one wants such wide pc monitors" for actual work. Well this person wants something controllable with a PC not a D##n television and no it isn't for most post processing.

After a decade of building up a large body of large format 4x5 film view camera landscape and nature work, in 2014, finally switched to a digital camera and have since built up a large body of multi column row stitch and focus stack blended work using sharp prime lenses at sharpest apertures in order to eventually be able to be able to exhibit immersively in high detail with large 8k displays. In 2007, after going through trying to exhibit with large Lightjet 5k prints, it became obvious the logistics to do so for more than a few prints was ridiculous due to bulk, weight, fragility, and transport packaging, so went into hiding.

The pandemic has only delayed that more. I've been expecting another expensive large monitor product to show by year's end as Display Port 2.0 hardware becomes available but if the $1k pricing for an 8k is true, this is awesome. Thank you LG for quietly developing this product while so many have been sleeping. I'll buy at least two immediately as well as a new powerful workstation with capable video cards as soon as full hardware shows. I've got several hundred strong images that have more detail than 8k can display. Most of my 4x5 film work after drum scanning works out to about 9kx12k of which I've only had maybe 1/4 scanned to this point. With a single 256k USB memory stick that fits in a pocket, I can display hundreds of huge images instead of needing a moving van and a team to deal with such.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-worlds-cheapest-8k-monitor-could-change-the-way-we-work-in-2022

There is also a very good practical reason why LG’s model makes for a great bargain and that’s because it comes with HDMI 2.1 ports while the UP3218K - because of its age - doesn’t sport any. You need to connect it to two DisplayPort connectors to enjoy 8K resolution, something you will get in dedicated graphics cards (like the RTX3080) but not in more modest configurations.

The LG is a 55-inch desktop behemoth that can display more than 33 million pixels and has a full blown 40W 2.2 Dolby-compatible audio sound system as well as a slew of other features including Bluetooth 5.0, four HDMI 2.1 ports, three USB ports, Wi-Fi, an Ethernet connector and even an optical SPDIF audio port plus a solid five year warranty.

-- hide signature --

David

Davi7d777's gear list:Davi7d777's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow