Trying to go pro, looking for a bit of a mentor

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
anthroposcenery New Member • Posts: 10
Trying to go pro, looking for a bit of a mentor

I've been getting very serious about wildlife photography and I'm unsure how to make a serious step toward doing this for a living. I'm hoping someone might be willing to talk to me a bit about how to take some steps in that direction.

I'd certainly appreciate feedback on my website, particularly toward choosing my top images to showcase-- as it is now, it's kind of just a big image dump with thousands of photos. However, more than that, I really want guidance on learning the business and where/how to make the right connections and get actual paid assignments. I'd really love to get the chance to be an assistant on a film or photography project with someone more experienced.

Here's a bit more info that might help give a sense of where I'm currently at with my photography.

I've sold a few prints on my website and I've made a whopping $6.50 on Adobe Stock. I also recently placed in a photography contest. I entered several more contests that should be announcing winners soon. I have a couple thousand Instagram followers and some photos I've shared on Reddit have been pretty popular. However, I feel like I could spend years trying to gain exposure in these ways hoping to get discovered and maybe slowly building passive income selling prints and stock but I don't ever see that being enough to be my main income source.

Just before COVID, I had gotten a few filming jobs, but that was in a different niche and if I'm honest, it was based on my network and lack of competition in a small developing country. During the same time-period, I had also gotten my first magazine publication, but they published it online-only and I didn't make any money for it. I'm back in the US now.

OK, here's a couple pictures. Thanks for even reading all this.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow