Has anyone tried repairing a camera bag?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690
Has anyone tried repairing a camera bag?

So a while back, I posted on buying a camera bag for my special needs, and I have found one that fits the bill perfectly - it has the literal perfect dimensions. (For those interested, it is a Tarion backpack: M-02 Canvas Camera Backpack | Best DSLR Camera Bag For Travel – TARION)

I got it from someone who wasn't using it anymore, the only problem is that the snap button fastener is missing on both straps. Snap button fasteners are the metal female recipients of the snap button studs. In the case of this backpack, the snap button studs are on the leather straps on the cover of the backpack (you can see the straps in the picture link above). This is NOT the belt buckle you can see visible, its the snap button stud on the underside of the leather strap. The studs are very well sewn into the leather (seamless, not removable by any way that I know), and the button fasteners were on the body of the backpack where the studs snapped into place, and those 2 are missing.

Here is a link to snap fasteners: Amazon.com: rosenice Sew On Snaps Buttons Metal Snaps Fasteners Press Studs Buttons 50 Sets Brass Fasteners DIY Craft Accessory (15mm-Silver)

You can see they come in a pair of studs and fasteners (male and female).

My question is, what is the best way to fix this, as obviosly without the snap fasterners, there is nothing to prevent the camera from falling out of the bag since the cover will not snap shut?

Would it be to somehow try to find the correct fastener pair to the stud (in which case, is there a standard measurement for the stud/fastener pairs)?

Or if that is a futile endeavor, would the best way to fix it be to buy both the stud and fastener pair? The problem with this approach is then how to affix the stud to the leather straps, it seems well embedded into the leather, and I can see no way to remove the old stud without damaging the strap? Would this be something a leatherworker would be able to fix, and does anyone know a good affordable one?

Or is there some other solution to this problem I might not have thought of? I really do like this bag but the fastener does need to be fixed before I can use it.

Ps.: Just thought of it, but is there a weight/strength rating to the snap button fasteners? I would hate for the camera to roll right out of the bag because the fasteners weren't strong enough.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow