Eastern Africa with 70-300mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SlothRock Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Eastern Africa with 70-300mm

Jerry-astro wrote:

SlothRock wrote:

Wow you’re getting me excited for my trip! I’m going in October and I’m renting the 70-300 and 1.4x TC. Looks like the 1.4 TC may be a bit overkill since you got these great shots without it but I guess it’ll be nice to have in case I don’t get so lucky with the animals being this close. I’ll be in Tanzania and Kenya

If you don’t mind another opinion, 70-300mm plus the 1.4 TC is most definitely NOT overkill in terms of reach. You’ll also most likely have many opportunities to view and photograph wildlife in fairly close proximity, but that will not always be the case, and you may find that some of the most interesting opportunities may be at distances even longer than the 70-300 will reach. The TC offers that opportunity without having to lose resolution in post by cropping.

Having a backup camera (perhaps via a rental) is also a good idea for a couple of reasons: 1) For a major trip like this, you may not want to be in a situation where an equipment failure means you are no longer able to photograph, and 2) if offers the ability to outfit your main camera with a long lens and a backup camera with something shorter. This not only gives you that backup in case of equipment failure (or damage) but also allows you to quickly change focal lengths without having to rapidly change lenses in what will likely be pretty dusty conditions. Opportunities can come at unexpected times and quickly, and you don’t want to find yourself fumbling with your camera changing lenses when that happens.

In both of the safari trips I took, I had a rented backup camera, and I found myself using it quite a bit. I think it’s a worthwhile investment.

Oh ya for sure! I’m going with my Dad and he is bringing an RX10IV so we will have two cameras in case one of them starts to have issues for whatever reason. Glad to hear the 1.4TC wasn’t a bad choice! It didn’t cost much more to add it to the rental so I figured it was the right move

SlothRock's gear list:SlothRock's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow