Best option for long focal length zoom

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,383
Re: Best option for long focal length zoom

ChrisG56 wrote:

When the screen on my A99v stopped behaving nicely I bit the bullet and bought a new A7riv and, because I was so heavily invested in alpha lenses, I also bought the LAEA5 adaptor.

I then sourced and bought a replacement screen for the 99 and paid someone to fit it for me.

So, I now have two cameras with different mounts and a really good adaptor. When I retire in June I am looking at acquiring a longer/better zoom than the Minolta 75 - 300 I currently own for wildlife and I am wondering if people feel that I would be better off buying something like the Sigma 150 - 500 in alpha fit or getting the dedicated FE 200 - 600?

I retired in 2016 and I freely admit I'm a lens hoarder. My old Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM is the only lens I've sold - that should tell you something. The original Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm lenses just raised the bar for inexpensive long zooms and that bar has only gone higher ever since.

Today my main long lens setup is the A7RIV, SAL70400G2+LA-EA5, and SEL200600G.*

400mm zooms typically have a minimum focus distance around 5-6 ft. 600mm zooms are about double that. So the SAL70400G2 gets used in "close quarter" shooting (botanical gardens and such) while the SEL200600G gets used out in the field where the action is farther away.

The Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD looks very interesting. With Tamron's recent track record of excellent, yet inexpensive, lenses, this should go on the "check it out" list.

Sony's Lens Compatibility chart could be useful in your search (but only for Sony lenses). Pick a lens, then a body, then an adapter to see any restrictions.

*My A99II is now happy taking indoor photographs of my granddaughters.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow