Tripods / heads lineup

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Igor Sotelo Contributing Member • Posts: 568
Tripods / heads lineup

The first tripod I got was the Sirui 3T-15B that has the B00K ball head. Past 70-200mm 2.8 it was amazing it can hold 100-400mm 4.5-5.6, 300mm 2.8 and 500mm 4.0 lenses, but it was stressful to leave the setup on the window. And it was also impossible to point large lenses up in the sky or make fine adjustments. Maybe there's shaking and drifting unless the ball was tightened very hard.

So improve stability and also since I'm thinking about a 1000mm reflex lens, I got the RRS TP-243 ground tripod and a Benro GD3WH geared head, that still have to arrive.

Was thinking about the Sirui PH-10 gimbal, that holds 15 kg, to pair with the RRS and a future full size tripod, also because was considering a 200-600mm lens since quite some time. The first question is if this brand and model is a good option for a gimbal head?

For larger tripods was considering the Sirui W-2204 with a K-20x ball head and one of the bigger Manfrotto tripods, like the 068B, 475B or the 161 mark II. But had doubts about the stability of the W-2204, particularly with the center column extended and the weight of the Manfrotto tripods that aren't really of so high load capacity.

Recently I saw the FLM CP-34 L4 II tripod, and while much more expensive than the W-2204 it apparently can replace the need for a separate studio tripod. It's also very tall without center column (I think around 1.75m and with the head and camera that should be over 1.90m) and weighs a reasonable 2Kg, while being rated for over 30 kg. Another benefit is that can it be used with 75mm bowls and I could add a fluid head later if needed.

So the question would be, if the FLM would a good one tripod solution?

Then would ask if after the small Sirui B00K ball head, the Benro gear head and gimbal head, if would need a large capacity ball head? I don't know if the Sirui K-20x is a good choice?

Finally what fluid heads are good and affordable?

Thanks in advance.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +20 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow