BC - Sunshine Coast, Texada Island

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,166
BC - Sunshine Coast, Texada Island

Last weekend I took a little trip with my son up the Sunshine Coast to Texada Island, in British Columbia, Canada. I used my V2 + restored 30-110mm lens and J5 + 10-30mm PD-Zoom lens on this trip. Most are of the snapshot variety rather than art. But I had fun taking them. And they serve to remind me that the Nikon 1 system can be used to take very fine photographs.

By looking at these photos you might think that the name Sunshine Coast is a misnomer. It certainly was cloudy and rainy on this day - and this area is classified as a temperate rainforest. But it is also quite beautiful on clear, sunny days.

The Malaspina Sky
Where would the BC coast be without its ferry system? This ferry runs from Earls Cove at the North end of the Sechelt Peninsula (where this was taken) to Saltery Bay, near Powell River.
(V2 + 30-110mm lens)

MV Klassen
This is an old freighter docked at Earls Cove. It is evocative of an earlier era of shipping in this area.
(J5 + 10-30mm PD Zoom lens)

Seagull Over Gillies Bay
This photo absolutely symbolizes the BC coast. Gillies Bay is on Texada Island, which is only accessible by air and a ferry that goes between it and Powell River. Gillies Bay is also the location of one of two villages on the island.
(V2 + 30-110mm lens)

That Place Cafe and Curiosities
This establishment is near the Blubber Bay ferry terminal on Texada Island. It was closed - so I am assuming it is mainly open during tourist season. (Whenever that is.) That said, there are not a lot in the way of amenities on Texada Island, which seems to be populated by those looking for isolation.
(J5 + 10-30mm PD-Zoom lens)

Blubber Bay Limestone Quarry
Texada Island was once a centre for whaling - hence the name Blubber Bay. Mining and forestry are two industries that are still on the island. This was taken from the ferry terminal before the ferry was set to go back to Powell River.
(J5 + 10-30mm PD-Zoom lens)

Island Discovery
This is the ferry that runs between Powell River and Texada Island. It is very new, and is an electric/diesel hybrid. Supposedly it will become a fully-electric vessel when charging stations are built at the ferry terminals it docks at. In the background is Texada Island. The cleared area among the trees is due to logging done on the island.
(V2 + 30-110mm lens)

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Nikon 1 J5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow