Nearly Extinct Atala, Birds & Bugs & Reptiles too, Oh My (9/17/21)

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,590
Thanks Joachim,

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

I like those black necked stilts. I have never seen one, however according to my smart app they seem to be around here along lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence.

They are fun birds to watch their behavior too - so quick to call alarm and fly circles around any threat - and the parents when they have chicks will split up - the mom will pull in all the chicks and find some reeds or plants to hide in, while the male will call loudly and constantly while walking around in the open, far from the nest, to attract any predator who's a threat to follow him instead.  Like some other birds, they'll even feign injury sometimes, walking with a wing extended out on the ground or limping...to look more tempting.

The Red-winged black birds are tough and they don't care what or who they attack. I had them go after me and hitting my helmet while riding my bike.

Indeed they are!  I've been swooped a few times when walking within vicinity of a nest by the male.  Mockingbirds in our area are probably the most aggressive when they nest - they attack anything and anyone, as I've had to discover many times when a pair decided to nest in the hedge by my front door for several years in a row - no one wanted to visit my house and delivery people could be seen on camera running away from the doorstep after leaving packages!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow