Sony a7R III autofocus / tracking

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
filipwphoto Junior Member • Posts: 30
Sony a7R III autofocus / tracking

Hi,

I've been using A7R III for quite a while and I am experiencing some issues with the autofocus / tracking. In a normal situation when a person is posing for a photo there is usually no issue. However, if the person is moving towards me the focus often misses.

I tested it today with a Sony 35mm 1.4 GM. I was shooting wide open. The human subject was close to the camera and I asked her to move her head forward and backwards like a chicken while using AF continuous with human eye detection. I shoot approx 10 pics each time with different modes: single mode, slow, mid, hi and hi+ and I never had clean results. Perhaps 2 out of 10 pictures were spot on and they were probably done when there was the least movement. The rest was either bad or very bad. I tried less extreme situations when the subject was a little bit further away and was simply walking towards me. Even with the slow walking the focus would not be perfect and I would get maybe 5-7 out of 10 spot on photos.

I am well aware that this is not a sports camera and that 1.4 has quite shallow depth of field but I would still expect a little bit more from this camera.

Now I have got some questions for you.

Am I right to expect more or perhaps I demand too much from this system, perhaps it is working as intended? What do you think?

What about a7R IV? Is the focus much better? I am sure it is better than RIII but what about a7 III? On paper the a7 III has more AF points but then again RIV is so much more expensive and appears as a more professional camera. Which camera should I get if I want more hits?

Does a7R IV focus in dim studio conditions? WIth my a7R III im am often ashamed as I do a shoot with a client and sometimes half of the photos are out of focus at f8 even though the green box appears at the eye straight away and the camera fools you making you think that it works flawlessly.

Sony a7 III Sony a7R Sony a7R IIIA
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow