Birds - (take 2) - K3mki

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,408
Birds - (take 2) - K3mki

With another opportunity to go down to the nearby bird sanctuary, I changed to the original screw drive 55-300 mki (part of the lens kit I got with my Kx) which is over ten years old now.

After another recent video, I decided to remove the also 10yr old UV filter and see how this went compared to the Bigma (which I carried with me in case)

Results confirmed that the 55-300 had superior image quality and even decent sharp centre frame at f5.8 @ 300mm. Maybe removing that dodgy old UV filter was a blessing.

Learning from the previous trip meant i knew where to look for certain birds, to wait, walk slowly, be patient, use back button focus, learnt bird behavior which meant anticipating moments of flight ..... all of which improved results.

These things are what makes good bird photography and gear is secondary. I am certainly keen to improve my kit but knowing your subject is paramount and when you increase your amount of keepers due to knowledge, it encourages you to go back.

I think BIF is great and I am now learning to stalk certain birds, open up my zoom to increase field of view for cropping, which also enhances DOF. This gives a greater amount of shots in focus when using AF-S in Pentax as AF-C is almost non existent on the mki. I'm anticipating take-off and getting more acceptable images.

Improving technique and spending a little more time processing is also encouraging me to be more ruthless with rejects. What was once almost acceptable no longer makes the grade and drives you towards better results. There were several which I deleted which may have been ok for instagram but were just too soft or marginally OOF.

The day was mostly sunny which helped with light, contrast, iso, AF and IQ. Some of these are cropped but in general, i was happier with IQ.

Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few days to see how the Grey Heron chicks are progressing and get some more parenting images.

Rainbow Lorikeet

White Heron or Egret

Little Corella

Female Superb Fairywren

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Common House Sparrow (Female) ... not a subject i'd usually take but the composition was nice.

Technically not great but tells the story of the Crow getting bullied by the little Willy Wagtail.

Just two Aussie mates having a chat in a tree .....

Grey Heron parent feeding chicks. Thrilled with this find and vantage point from a nearby bridge.

White Plumed Honeyeaters

New Holland Honeyeater

another Cockatoo take-off.

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow