back button focusing query

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tomlittle22 New Member • Posts: 5
back button focusing query

Hi All, using an R5, setting up back button focussing I find that if I set shutter butt. half press to metering start, it still autofocuses. The back button autofocus customisations still work fine also. What this means is that I always have three focussing modes at my disposal, so that's great. It just makes me curious when people describe how to set up back button focusing: they always say setting to metering start (or metering lock) removes autofocus from the shutter button- this seems not to be the case. Can someone confirm this? It also means there is very little difference between shutter butt. half press set to metering start or set to metering/AF start. Am I missing something?

Just a further note on the difference between shutter butt. half press set to metering start versus set to metering/AF start. If in metering start, I cannot use Q to set the shutter button to face/eye detection when face/eye detection is assigned to the AF-on button. But if I set shutter butt half press to metering plus AF, I can still fully cutomise the shutter button AND the back button focusing continues to work fine.

Any thoughts appreciated

ANSWER:
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow