Any love for GIMP ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,463
Missing the point--what GIMP cannot do

But GIMP has, and is not even supposed to overcome in the next major version (the forthcoming but we don't know when 3.0) the huge limitation for serious photo work that 90% of its operations are destructive--in the sense that instead of writing a set of instructions that are incorporated into the on-screen preview and stored to be incorporated into the next render-and-export, but may be modified or cancelled at any time--and actually modify the underlying pixels (in memory, not on disk unless you export over the source file). So you cannot undo or even modify them without first undoing everything you've done after them, and thereby losing all subsequent work.

Whatever you do on a layer, stays on that layer, so in that respect they are 100 % non-destruktive. If you want to undo, just delete the layer.

I am not sure if Gimp has pure adjustments layers like Paintshop Pro or photoshop, but thats another story.

Forget about "layers"--it does not matter what we call things. Let me try to explain this.

Suppose I have an image to which I want to make 6 adjustments. Suppose I use GIMP and make the adjustments, call them #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6. If I decide at the end that I did not really want #2 after all, there is no way I can undo #2 without first undoing #6, #5, #4, and #3, and thereby losing all that work. At best I have to guess at a corresponding adjustment and risk some lossy operations.

With Affinity Photo, I take the same image and make the adjustments, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6. If I decide at the end that I did not really want #2 after all, I can very easily go in and disable adjustment #2 without affecting #6, #5, #4, or #3, thereby retaining all that work. Or suppose I decide I want to keep #2, but apply it to a greater or lesser degree--it is almost equally easy.

And that is IMO the main reason why, for relatively extensive image editing, Affinity Photo is far superior to GIMP.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow