ZS100/200 Focuses off when In-Focus - take 2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
3V AudioVideo
3V AudioVideo Regular Member • Posts: 102
ZS100/200 Focuses off when In-Focus - take 2

So I posted this before a few months ago but it sort of got derailed a little.  Will try again...

When recording VIDEO, I have a 1-spot focus setting, keeping the box-spot small.  I video tape rock concerts and when I am far away from the stage, it is hard to see if I am seeing the subjects in focus.  My settings is  Not on Continuous AF.  Instead, while recording, I place the box on the subject and then 1/2 press the shutter button and wait for the box to turn green (that is supposed to mean the subject in the box came into focus) and then I release the shutter button.  And so then the focus distance stays the same as when the box turns green (as expected and desired)

Since it is hard to see, sometimes I do the procedure again to make sure it is in focus.  Seems often that when I already got the subject in focus, doing it the 2nd time will actually bring the subject slightly out of focus.  I am not able to notice this 'out of focus result' until I get home and view it on my desktop.

I know there are other ways to focus (continuous, manual and so on) but for me, they steps I took would be the best way to focus if it were reliable.

Now as I write this, I am thinking maybe recording with the top dial set to "M"(photo) versus the Video mode might make a difference?    Sometimes I use one or the other (each one has pro and cons for recording video).

Anyone else have this issue?  Any suggestions to make sure it always focuses properly?  I really don't want to update it with the much pricier Sony RX100VII.  My APS-C Sony and Canon both don't have these issues but I am often not allowed to bring these 2 cameras into most concert venues.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow