Discouraging - OMD presence

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ikolbyi Contributing Member • Posts: 736
Discouraging - OMD presence

I was in a very large camera store in the NJ/NY Metro area (one of the big 3) and noticed they removed their Olympus/OMD section.  I asked one of the store sales people what happened to the Olympus/OMD products and they informed me they moved them to online sales only because their is zero demand.

Upon further questioning: Sony, Sony, and Sony are dominating the industry with Canon as a distant 2nd.  They continued to explain many legacy Canon photographers left Canon due to the EF->RF mount change to Sony with a sprinkle to Fuji.  They also mentioned Nikon is dying as their customer base are retirees (because they don't want to change/learn something new) with virtually no younger photographers investing in any Nikon system. Panasonic is lack luster, but has a niche in video and studio portraits.  Fuji apparently made a name in the travel segment for having small and light weight cameras.

That use to be the segment that Olympus/OMD focused on (travel).  But where are they?  How can OMD survive if retail stores are removing OMD floor space making them invisible to the customer?

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Fujifilm GFX 100S Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow